Graduate Financial Support

The Department supports most full-time graduate students at the Ph.D. level. Financial support is available in the form of fellowships, traineeships, teaching assistantships, and research assistantships. Awarding of financial support is competitive, and stipends average $33,000.00 for the academic year, plus tuition, fees and health insurance. Citizens and Permanent Residents must establish California Residency by the start of the second year. Non Resident Tuition will only be paid in the first year (this does not apply to international students).  Sources of funding include University fellowships and traineeships from a National Institutes of Health (NIH) training grant.  The Department does not offer financial support to students at the M.S./M.Eng. level. Such students are encouraged to seek information on how to fund their education from the sources listed on the "links" page of this section.

All students are urged to apply directly for individual fellowship support from the following organizations:

For further information, call (858) 822-1604 or contact our office at: University of California, San Diego, Bioengineering Graduate Student Affairs, 9500 Gilman Drive - MC 0419, La Jolla, CA 92093-0419